Sunday, October 19, 2008

10/19 IBM 10k

Inconsistent is the word of the day for my race. All in all, I can't be upset with the end result, but I know I did not run smart or tough. My first mile I went out at a 6:17 which was a bit faster than the plan, but not too bad. Steve said before the race that this should feel hard because we haven't been training for too much speed. So in the 2nd mile when I was feeling good, I figured that meant I wasn't pushing hard enough because I thought it would feel harder...so the 2nd mile ended up being a 6:08. Not really a good idea for the first third of a 10k, considering my original plan was to go out at 6:30s. So the next split ended up being inaccurate because I hit my watch at the 5k marker...so my 6:47 was really for 1.1 miles. If you convert that to miles/min it is about a 6:10. So for the first 5k I was about 15-20 seconds faster than I was planning. The fourth mile I was a headcase because I thought my previous mile had been really slow...I ended up not slowing down too much, running at 6:20 pace for the 4th mile. The 5th mile was the same pace...but much harder. I had people passing me instead of gaining momentum. Jason ran by me and told me this was where the race started...and another woman passed me who I wanted to run with, but I was just feeling really defeated. I also started feeling kind of light-headed...most likely b/c I didn't eat before the race, bad choice. The last mile avg out to about 6:40 pace...so that is where the mental toughness completely lacked. I really don't think there was any excuse for running my last mile 20 slower than I ran on the track at the soul buster II last weekend. That kind of ticks me of in retrospect b/c I know I was capable of a better performance. I want to train myself to actually run even/negative splits, but I still have a lot to learn. I did place 1st in my age group which was nice. I'm pumped I got $50 to Rogue as a prize as opposed to the 2nd place jump-drive :) Lots of running things on my mind...ok with where I'm at now, but I am curious and uncertain about how far the bar needs to be raised.

pluses: gift card, REALLY succesful youth night...about 400 kids from 4 churches...yes!

minuses: tired, really really tired

1 comment:

Julia said...

Hey speedy!!! You did a good job. You gotta run erratic before you run steady. I am planning on being steady any year now!! hahaha Congrats for your win! Buy more shoes!!!